Standards of Ethical Conduct
- I will conduct myself in a manner that reflects well on coaching as a profession and I will refrain from doing anything that harms the public's understanding or acceptance of coaching as a profession.
- I will accurately identify my level of coaching competence and I will not overstate my qualifications, expertise or experience as a coach.
- I will ensure that my coaching client understands the nature of coaching and the terms of the coaching agreement between us.
- I will not intentionally mislead or make false claims about what my client will receive from the coaching process or from me as their coach.
- I will respect the confidentiality of my client’s information, except as otherwise authorised by my client, or as required by law.
- I will obtain informed permission from each of my clients before releasing their names as clients or references or any other client identifying information.
- I will be alert to noticing when my client is no longer benefiting from our coaching relationship and would be better served by another coach or by another resource and, at that time, I will encourage my client to make that change.
- I will seek to avoid conflicts between my interests and the interests of my clients.
- Whenever any actual conflict of interest or the potential for a conflict of interest arises, I will openly disclose it and fully discuss with my client how to deal with it in whatever way best serves my client.
- I will disclose to my client all anticipated compensation from third parties that I may receive for referrals or advice concerning that client.
- I will honour agreements I make in my coaching relationships, and construct clear agreements that may include confidentiality, progress reports, and other particulars. I will obtain the express consent of the person being coached before releasing information to another person compensating me.
- I will not give my clients or any prospective clients information or advice I know to be misleading or beyond my competence.
- I will respect and honour the efforts and contributions of others.
- I will respect the creative and written work of others in developing my own materials.
- I will use Academy of Executive Coaching member contact information
(email addresses, telephone numbers, etc.) only in the manner and to the extent authorised by the Academy of Executive Coaching.